10.27.2010

of course I fell in.

Once upon a time we went to Northern England and explored a couple places called York and Ambleside. 
The lake district is incredible. I'm pretty sure I want to live there. 

In York we spent time at the Minster, museum-ing, shopping, and ghost hunting. 
While on the road we did lots of other cool things...like see Hadrian's Wall...or the wall of the Roman Empire. 
Also went to Bede's world (think Disneyland, the Venerable Bede style)
In Ambleside we spent time dance partying on the docks, cruising, nature walking, and of course appreciating the poetics of Wordsworth. 

A story:
Thursday morning we had the option of "hiking" to Dove Cottage (William Wordsworth's house) or taking the coach. It was about five miles, and it was GORGEOUS. I cannot describe it. We even stopped to read Wordsworth (as the walk we took was very likely a walk that inspired him and his greatness). One spot along the river we were following had some precious little picture perfect rocks to stand on. Grace and I went out on said rocks and after taking a couple pictures (while the rest of the hiking group just stood in a line and stared at us awkwardly) decided "Oh! This isn't even deep and we're wearing wellies so we should probably stand in the water!" I quickly step into the water, but it takes a while for my foot to reach the bottom...and by this point I slip, grab Grace (who saved me), and I practically sit in the water. I drenched my jeans, filled my boots with water...and even got my hair wet. Shoot. This was still the first half of our "hike" and I was completely soaked. Yes..It was pretty cold. Luckily, I was wearing leggings under my jeans so I took my jeans off (had Dr. {or Saint as he's more commonly known} Tate help me get my boots off) and continued the rest of day with wet feet. I actually didn't completely freeze the whole day. So I count it as success!


Before...
After...
 


"been there, done that, got the t-shirt" 
(credit for this quote goes to Anne, our awesome York Minster tour guide...she was the "rebel" of the bunch). 

2 comments: